If you would like to submit a lesson plan that you have found effective in your classroom, send it to us and we'll upload it here to share with other practitioners. Please follow the format of the lesson plan below.
Cool Lesson Plan
Contributor: Chuah Kar Wooi, Faculty of Education, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia
Subject: English Language (Listening)
Skill: Listening Topic: Environment – Endangered animals Prior knowledge: Students have background knowledge of environmental issues.
2.0 LANGUAGE FOR INFORMATIONAL USE 2.1 To obtain, process and use information from various audiovisual and print sources and be able to present the information in spoken and written form.
General objective: To develop students’ ability to understand information from the news.
Specific objectives: By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
a) Pre – Listening : Identify and orally discuss the pictures within 10 minutes.
b) While – Listening :Worksheet 1- Listen to the news and circle the answers with at least 70% accuracy.
c) Worksheet 2 : Listen and write “T” for correct statements and “F” for false statements with at least 70% accuracy.
d) Post –Listening : Draw posters for the campaign on “Save the Animals” with at least 70% accuracy.
Teaching Materials: Computers which provide online services, worksheets.
Moral Values: Love and be being responsible towards the environment (both flora and fauna).
2) Huraian Sukatan Pelajaran Tingkatan 2, (2003).
A. Set Induction: Pre-listening (10 minutes)
Aids: Pictures of endangered animals
1) Teacher shows pictures of endangered animals to the students.
2) Teacher asks students questions regarding those pictures. Students respond.
3) Teacher discusses the answers of the questions as a whole class activity.
4) Teacher introduces students to the topic of the day.
Rationale: To attract students’ attention to the topic.
While - Listening (25 minutes)
Teaching Aids: Worksheet 1 & Worksheet 2 , online services so that students could log into the BBC website:
1) Students are required to log onto the BBC website with the address given above.
2) Next, they are asked to click on the icon “News English”.
3) Then, students are asked to go to “Words in the News”.
4) Students have to click on the hyperlink “Archives 2007” and find out the online news with the headline of:‘Bears facing extinction’.
5) Students are told not to read the news first.They have to click on the hyperlink “Listen to the story” and listen to what the reporter said.
6) After they have listened to the news for twice, students are required to attempt on Worksheet 1 and Worksheet 2.
7) On Worksheet 1, students are supposed to circle the correct answer for each question.
8) On Worksheet 2, students are to write “T” for the correct statements and “F” for false statements.
9) Students attempt the task.They are allowed to discuss with their friends.
10) Teacher discusses the answers with the students.
Rationale: To enable students to understand the information in the news.
Post Listening (40 minutes)
Group Work Teaching Aids:
2. Stationery and drawing equipment.
1. Students are to design a poster in accordance to a campaign on “Save the Animals”.
2. Students work in groups of four. Each group draws a poster.
3. Students are told to hand over their posters in the following lesson.
4. Students discuss and attempt the drawing.
Rationale: To enable students to apply what they have learnt in today’s lesson through drawings.
Closure: (5 minutes)
1. Teacher ends the lesson by discussing the importance of preserving and protecting the animals.
2. Teacher mentions that immediate efforts should be taken by all parties – everyone plays an equally important role in protecting the animals and preventing the animals from extinction.
Rationale: Teacher emphasizes again the important learning points in the lesson.
A. Pre-Listening Questions asked regarding the pictures:
1. Have you seen these animals before?
2. Where can you find these animals?
3. Is it easy or difficult for you to see these animals?
4. Do you think these animals will survive in the future?
B. (While- Listening) Worksheet 1:
Listen to the news on “Bears facing extinction”. As you listen, circle the correct answers.This is an individual activity.The first question has been done for you.
1. (Five, six, seven) of the world's bear species are threatened with extinction.
2. Bear species have declined in numbers and distribution due to (human activities, diseases, famine).
3. Most ( frequent, urgent, unnecessary) action is needed in Asia and South America.
4. In Southern Asia, bears suffer heavy losses from (poachers, pollutions, or poisons).
(While- Listening) Worksheet 2:
Listen to the news again. Write (T) for True and (F) for False for each statement. This is an individual activity.The first question has been done for you.
1. In Asia and South America, conservation funding is poor. ( T )
2. Bile from the bear's gall bladder is used in traditional Western medicine. ( )
3. Bears’ paws are consumed as a delicacy. ( )
(Post – Listening) Worksheet 3:
Get into groups of four. Each group draws a poster for the campaign “Save the Animals!” which will be held in our school on 11th April 2011.
You are required to hand in your posters in 2 weeks time.
In your posters, you may include details as below: * Name and objective of the project
* Duration of the project
* Activities / process involved
* Roles of students in the event.
Your posters will be pasted on the school’s notice board!
*** GOOD LUCK ***